Saturday, February 22, 2014

Mission Papers: The Good and the Bad

In order to go on a mission, you have a whole lotta paperwork to fill out, so most people start as early as possible. I started last November and finished almost everything really quickly, but then had to wait to get my doctor and dentist appointments done. All in all, it's been a relatively easy process.
At the end of the paperwork, I had interviews with my bishop and stake president (don't know what those are? http://mormon.org/faq/topic/church/question/ward-stake-branch ) to make sure I was worthy and ready to serve a mission. The interviews went smoothly, no bumps there. Until I got to the guy looking at all my medical forms. He stopped me and told me a few sections on my medical form were not filled out or completed, so my papers could not be turned in this past Sunday as I expected, since I needed to finish those last few things.

I was devastated. 

Things were going perfectly--my papers were going to go in, be processed, my call assigned, and my call would have come February 26. My dad is even coming out to visit next week, so he would have actually been here when I opened my call and found out where I would spent a year and a half of my life. But no, I suddenly had these obstacles that ruined my perfect plan.

I cried about it for a while, not gonna lie. I called my parents and talked to them about it. What I knew I really needed to do, though, was pray to my Heavenly Father. Only He really knew why this was happening.

When I prayed, I asked for comfort and to know if I was still doing the right thing. Looking back, it seems kind of silly to be asking that, since this had been the only real bump in the whole process.

But guess what? I still got an answer.

As obvious as the answer was, and as silly as it may have seemed, I was in a moment of near desperation and just needed a confirmation. I KNOW because He loves me (He loves us perfectly! Romans 8:38-39), Heavenly Father cares about the things I care about. He cares that I don't miss the bus. He cares that I get all my homework done. He cares that my package will come on time. He cares about all the little silly things I pray about constantly (and I mean CONSTANTLY. I'd be so lost without prayer--3 Nephi 20:1).

Of course He cared that I was so worried.

After I prayed, I felt a lot better about the situation. After all, it was only a week or two delay. No, my dad would not be in town when I got my mission call, but that's okay. Not perfect, but things would work out just fine.

{As of right now, I have one last appointment to do on Monday, then my papers will go in Tuesday!!}

Let's jump forward to the following Tuesday. Honestly, that day was pretty darn great. I got the tuberculosis shot thing for my papers since they *just so happened* to have an appointment available for the day I called, so I was one step closer to my papers being submitted. That night my Relief Society (the group of girls in my ward who live near me) had planned a trip to the temple, and I was able to go with them. I love those girls.

While walking to the temple, I was just all of a sudden extremely happy. Actually, "happy" doesn't cover it. How about joyful, thrilled, jubilant, ECSTATIC.
HAPPY. 
I didn't know what caused it, but holy cow, I was super happy! I ended up kinda bouncing around the whole way to the temple, and I might have freaked my friend Kelsey out just a little bit, haha. When we got in the temple, I quieted down, but that didn't diminish my happiness. I was in the temple! If it was possible, I was happier. We had some extra time while in the temple, so I studied and read the scriptures and some church pamphlets I had with me. And I was ecstatic!

It wasn't until I got home from the temple or a little later that I realized why I was so happy, but when I finally figured it out (or was told by the Spirit, more likely), it made perfect sense.

This. This was my answer. Was I doing the right thing by going on a mission? Was I still supposed to go? ABSOLUTELY ONE HUNDRED PERCENT YES.

Happiness and joy like I felt doesn't come from any other place, person, or thing other than our Heavenly Father. That's another reason why I'm serving a mission! I want other people to feel the way I felt, to feel the peace and joy that the gospel brings.

John 14:27 says "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."

I know a mission will be difficult, but I know FOR SURE that it is the next step for my life. Heavenly Father loves me, but He also loves EVERY SINGLE OTHER PERSON IN THE WHOLE WORLD too. And that is why I will share the gospel. He wants everyone to hear it, and because I already have, I need to share it with other people so they have the same opportunity!

I LOVE THE GOSPEL! I know it's true and I want to share it with as many people as I can. That includes you! If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Post a comment! I want to answer your questions. :)

Love always xox
Sister Rachel Knutti

No comments:

Post a Comment