Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Missionary Training Center (MTC) Week 1


Oi familia!
I love the MTC. It's been so great to be here. My companions are Sister Wood and Sister Larson--we're a trio! It's been so fun. We get along really well and have been pretty darn united, especially as we plan lessons. We have a room for just the three of us in our residence, so it's been a blast with them so far.

Os elderes in my district are Elders Hansen, Roberts, Rodrigues, and Freibe (free-buh.... that took me a while to get). Elders Rodrigues and Freibe are also going to Boston speaking portuguese! I had no idea there were still elders with my same mission, but I'm really glad that I have them to go with me. The rest of our zone is almost entirely going to Portugal (including my two companions), except for one of the zone leaders (actually the other one just left for Brazil sooooo) and a visa-waiter who are both going to Brazil. So basically Elders R & F and I have to speak with an entirely different accent than the rest of our zone, but we hold our own. I didn't realize quite how different it was... but it's okay! It's been super good. We've learned a lot, including how to pray, how to bear testimony, and lots of other verbs and words. Our teacher is Irmao Nothum (this computer doesn't let me do accents. It really must be dumb.), and he's really awesome. Even since Wednesday, the first day, he's spoken pretty much just Portuguese to us. But I understand almost all of it now! The gift of tongues must be real.

Sisters Wood and Larson and I have taught 3 lessons now. We have an investigator who's name we THOUGHT was Jose, but I think it's actually Jorge. Irmao Nothum's fault. Anyways, we taught him an okay lesson on Friday about how Christ is our foundation, then Saturday we had a really great lesson on the Book of Mormon. He was really excited to read it! Obviously, this is a teacher and not a real investigator, but I usually just ignore that fact. It makes it easier to pretend he's a real pesquisador. Also, he only speaks Portuguese. Yeah. We've taught three lessons IN PORTUGUESE. Our third lesson was actually a giant flop. We were teaching him about prayer, but once we were in there and talking to him, we all completely forgot portuguese. And we couldn't answer any of his questions... so I ended up saying "Eu sou que Deus te ama." (I know that God loves you) three or 4 times. It was not super happy. BUT we took some time for ourselves--talking a lot about it and running some basic errands, things like that--and we felt a lot better by our study time after dinner. We definitely needed to learn something from all of this, and we may not know what it is or why, but tudo bem.

Our zone is so fun. The elders in our district are especially funny. I've told Elder Freibe that we sisters know everything, but I don't think he quite believes me. He'll learn. And Elder Roberts can make smoke come out of his mouth. It's crazy. I guess it's just condensed stomach acid? But it's way cool to see! Elder Hansen has a lot of GUSTO, as we like to say. Elder Freibe once said that word, but emphasized the GUSto, so we make fun of him. And Elder Rodrigues is pretty cool too. Haha all the elders are way funny and we treat them like brothers. We all have a lot of fun in class.

Sorry this letter is so crazy! I'm not organized, but oh well hahaha. THIS COMPUTER IS DUMB. Okay, I can send maybe one picture at a time. Ugh. But I'll try to send as many as I can today. I don't have many, but they're fun. I'll try my best.

Jared--my zone leader, Elder (Mark) Brown, from Philadelphia, said he went to EFY with you last year. I think he said he sang for the talent show and you played your beat-box thing? Anyways, small world. He's going to Brazil in 3 weeks or so.

Also. Saturday night, we were all getting ready for bed in the bathrooms down the hall. All of us go back to the room, and the door is locked. All of us left our keys in the room. So we locked ourselves out of our room while in our pjs, without bras, and I didn't have shoes. We had to walk across MTC campus like that--I borrowed our STL's flip flops and card to get into the buildings--to get a spare key from the front desk. We laughed about it a lot, but it was also crazy embarrassing. Good thing it was 10pm so no one was really out and about. Ah, good times at the ole MTC so far.

I saw Elder Wilhelm at the devotional on Sunday night! I've also seen Sister Bastian and a LOT of my other missionary friends multiple times. It's super fun. It made the first day a lot better when I saw a bunch of them.

I got a bunch of Dear Elders from you, Dad! I forgot to tell you all that Dear Elder is AWESOME to send me letters in the MTC, so tell everyone that. If you send it before 12pm MDT, I think I get it that day. And it's super duper fun to get real letters, so please send me some! And send me some emails. Now that you know my PDay is Tuesday, I should be receiving more emails, right? :) Actually though, I would love to get more emails. I also got my jelly beans! Thanks dad :) Mail is so fun for us. I didn't quite understand why until now.
We have to each write a talk for every Sunday (soon they will need to be in Portuguese), because we never know who they will call to speak until it's sacrament meeting! Wow! And my farewell talk should really help with a lot of it, since it is on the Doctrine of Christ. As far as snacks go, Dad, we would love anything and everything. Nothing perishable, because we don't have a fridge or anything, but we all get super hungry throughout the day. The food here is good and we end up eating a lot of it, but Sister Larson and I get hungry in between meals a lot.

I would also love to get emails or letters from all the kids! It'd be fun.

Um. I think this is the last thing--I was studying yesterday in the scriptures, 1 Nephi 15:22 and 36, and I discovered that the tree of life in Lehi's dream is the SAME TREE as in the garden of Eden! Woah! Look up those scriptures and the footnotes and everything, especially where it talks about the fruit. There are a lot of parallels and it's really interesting. Maybe you already knew all of that, but I didn't!

We get to go to the temple today and I'm super excited! Today is just gonna be a great day. Love you all, hope to hear from you soon, and I'll try to send as many pictures as possible!
Sister Knutti

Sister Wood is the blond, and Sister Larson is the brunette.  I have the braid.  Obviously.

 Sister Wood, Sister Knutti, Sister Larson

 Obligatory MTC Map pic

 MTC Zone sisters in front of Provo Temple

Rodrigues is easy to pick out.  Freibe is blond with glasses, Hansen has dark hair, and Roberts is the other blond.  Funny elders.  And then me and my companions.

1 comment:

  1. I was also in a trio in the MTC, learning Finnish. Our first week practice-teaching we did in English, and it was awesome! Our second week we taught in Finnish, and I started crying almost immediately and couldn't stop (not because I was feeling the Spirit, but because I was so scared!). By the end, both of my companions were crying too. It took several weeks for us to make it through a lesson without anyone crying (again, not because we were feeling the Spirit, but because it was so hard!!!). We could finally get useful feedback from our teacher after that. So you are already doing so much better than I was!!! Keep it up, you will do awesome!

    ReplyDelete