Monday, August 25, 2014

Week 7: Tudo dreito? The City of Champions

Olá!
So. I'm in Brockton, Massachusetts! Elder Friebe is actually in Brockton too, so he's still in my district, which has been pretty fun. My trainer is Sister Melo, who's from Brazil but grew up in Utah, mostly Spanish Fork! But she got there way after we did. She's awesome and super sweet. We live with 2 other sisters, Sister Belchoir and Lowenthal. I don't have a pic of all 4 of us, but I'll get one. I'm trying to attach one of me and sister Melo.

I'm way excited to be here. Most of the people here are from Cape Verde, which makes them the Portuguese population. But get this: they speak creole. Which means that I need to learn not just Portuguese, but CREOLE. I already don't have a good enough handle on Portuguese! But it's okay, I've learned a few basic words/phrases, and I know for sure that the Lord will help me and the gift of tongues is real. I have a hard time understanding people when they talk, but I'm trying my best.

In Brockton, there are 4 sisters and 5 (almost 4, one is being transferred tomorrow) elders. There's just that much work to do! I really like our district. Everyone except me and elder Friebe and the elder who's leaving are native speakers, sooooo yep. We play soccer together MWF mornings, and this morning I got 2 goals! Beat that! Just kidding. But I really did make those goals, and I'm pretty proud of that, not gonna lie. We have a car that all 4 sisters share, but a lot of times we end up walking, because Brockton is pretty small. I like walking though, because that means we street contact! I'm learning to love it, mostly because the people here are so open to the gospel, so we get a lot of great contacts. Apparently, though, people have commitment issues, which I've started to see... we had 5 or so people say they'd come to church, but none of them showed. Oh well. I have faith! The Lord's work will continue on. But Brockton is a little scary at night, since we are definitely in the ghetto, so we usually go home a little early, just to be safe. Don't worry too much though--the worst that happened this week is some random guy hit on me by telling a little kid to come say his friend liked me. And I think we talked to some people who were drinking... but it's all good! Tudo bem! Or, in creole, Tudo dreito. It will be interesting to see what will happen if I'm here during winter when it gets dark at 4pm.. I know the Lord will protect me, as long as I don't do dumb things. And I'm always with my companion, no worries. :)

The day we got here to the MBM, we got off the plane and Sister Packard picked us up at the airport. Pres. Packard would have come to pick us up but he was swamped with interviews. It's okay, though, because we drove to the chapel in Westbridgewater (one word? who knows...) and met him there. He is really such a cool guy, and I've learned A TON from him so far. That's also where I met Sister Melo and the elders found out where they'd be going (Sis. Packard told me while we were driving there... Brockton's about an hour or so from Boston?). I had my interview with Pres. Packard, ate pizza, and just went straight to my apartment with my trainer that night! We did come in the middle of a transfer, so we had an unusual entrance, so to speak.
Which is why the next day, we went up to Belmont, where the temple is (try to find pictures of the chapel there, it's so cool!!) for "Return and Report". All the other greenies have been here for 3 weeks, so it was mostly for them, but we were asked to go too. It was pretty great, but I was pretty exhausted. I learned a lot, though! Afterwards, we went to do a session in the Boston temple. And it is so beautiful! I love it.

Ahhh running out of time. But. I am really learning how the Spirit is essential when we teach. But also that the church is DEFINITELY TRUE. Last night we were in a lesson with an investigator, Eugenia (pray for her to receive an answer please!!), and I had such a difficult time speaking. So I bore my testimony about how I know that I am here and trying to learn Portuguese/creole because God wants me to be, and because the church is true. There honestly is no way I would do this if I didn't know that it was true. The Spirit was so strong in that lesson, and hopefully she will receive her answer that this is true soon.

I'm learning to love the people here, and I am doing my very best to do the Lord's work. Brockton is called the Promised Land here in the mission, and I am seeing that it is true! There is a lot of work to do, but it's good. Sometimes lessons are in English, some in Portuguese/creole. But tudo dreito, I love it here. I love being a missionary and actually going and helping people hear the gospel! It's an amazing feeling.
Love you tons, my time's up, but I hope to hear from all of you soon! Please send letters :)

Sister Knutti
This temple is beautiful, I would consider getting married here. But, unlike Elizabeth, I won't get married for a long while.

With Sister Melo at the temple


Elders Rodrigues and Friebe at the temple

At the Boston temple my second day here, and with Sister Melo!



 with Sister Lowenthal this time! Love her. The other sisters eat healthy, but we bought ice cream today sooooo we connect on many levels.


No comments:

Post a Comment