Monday, October 6, 2014

Week 13: A White Girl in Brockton??

Yes, someone (a mutterer... they have those in Brockton. Sometimes people just talk to themselves. A lot. Soooo yep.) actually said that when he passed me as Sister Melo and I were getting into the car last night. I thought it was actually hilarious. #whitegirlproblems
 
This week has had both deep lows and amazing highs. Hopefully I can write about it all in my short time limit.
 
Something I'd like to do each week is give you a fun fact for the week. Just a little something, you know?
 
Fun Fact for this week: apparently everyone in Brockton thinks September is the perfect time to put up Christmas decorations. I'll let you decide on that.
 
This week we gained 3 new investigators! Ilina, Elizabeth, and Jasiana. We taught Jasiana once before, but it's been a while so we count her again.  They're all great. Ilina is very stubborn and a little critical of everything we teach, but she was the one who wanted to learn from us. If she has a great experience, she'll soften. Elizabeth's mom is a less active, and the elders had taught both of them once, but we decided to tag team on them because Elizabeth is Ilina's cousin and is at her house all the time. Basically everyone in Brockton is related. You didn't think it got smaller than the Mormon world, did you? Well apparently Brockton can. I'll talk about Jasiana later :)
 
We taught Miguel twice too! That was neat, but I get really tired after teaching him, haha. I talked to President Packard about him to see what kind of resources we might have for deaf people. Unfortunately, there is little to no resources at all in the mission, and he can't ask for ASL missionaries because there are no groups or branches or anything. So. I've taken on the project to see what resources are here in Brockton to see if we can get something going for these people. How terrible would it be if you really wanted to go to church but couldn't hear anything and no one would translate? Ugh. So I'm going to try my best to help Miguel and the other deaf people I know are out there to see if something can get started.
 
Right as we began Weekly Planning on Thursday, the other sisters asked if we could have an "apartment inventory". It was really good to have. We talked about the things we need to change and how we can be better and be more like Zion all together, including doing things like getting to bed right on time, starting studies on time, things like that. That all may not mean much to any of you, but it was so good for us to talk about. 
 
Let's talk about some of the amazing members here in Brockton for a minute: Isabel, a YW who is almost inactive and getting into modeling. We're seeing her and helping her with Personal Progress and she's awesome. Basically. Maria Almeida, she used to be less active, but is coming back. Her son wants to go on a mission and finally got Sundays off of work. They're both amazing and I enjoy teaching them. I can also understand them pretty well :) Angela is this old lady we found a week or two ago who we really thought would be one of those who didn't realllllly know what we were talking about. She was baptized a few years ago here, actually, but is less active. But we were pleasantly surprised! She has some health problems, but she remembers so much and is so kind and actually really cool. Every time we go to see her, I walk out just like "she's awesome, okay." She just needs a ride to church and she'll come! Those are the best kinds of less actives, I would say. She can't read because her eyesight is so bad, but we're going to try to read to her every so often. It'll be great. :) And Beizinha? Stay tuned.
 
Okay, Jessica and Celia. They were the main focus of the week, and it was those girls who brought the real ups and downs. I still love them, don't worry. Wednesday we saw each of them and had really good spiritual prayers and talks with them, separately. They were both feeling very uncertain about their baptisms, so we really tried to build them up and commit them to read the BoM and pray. Friday we went to check up on them (actually Celia is Ilina's cousin and at her house when we taught her, but still... that's where we talked to her) and their prayers, reading, and feelings about baptism. Celia. Oh Celia. She has things she needs to repent of, but she says there is still something else that is making her feel unhappy, not excited, and uncomfortable with her baptism. Oh, it was sad. We tried to talk and help as much as we could but there was only so much we could do, you know? When we left, I just about cried. (Her date is dropped now, for the third time in the year and a half she's been taught. Lots of people were sad by this... including a sister who had gone home but was going to fly back for her baptism. Sad.) We drove to Beizinha's house to tell her about it, and the three of us just cried together. What else could we do? We're all still at a loss, unfortunately. Poor Beizinha. This is her best friend and she's been trying to help her for so long. That girl is so strong, and I am incredibly blessed to know her. If there is nothing else I've done in Brockton, getting to know Beizinha is enough.
 
Jessica. We went to see her with Beizinha after Celia... and she told us the same sorts of things. She doesn't really have serious things to repent of, but wasn't as excited as she wanted to be. And had barely prayed at all. We told her to pray and come to Conference, but we had little hope. Friday was a low. (Except I did get the letters from the Wolfords--thank you SO MUCH. Those really made my day a lot brighter. I'll try to write letters back :) )
 
But.
 
Saturday, we had Conference!!! Oh, it was amazing. So so so so so good, and I wish I could tell you all of my favorites and everything. We ended up watching it in English at the chapel, because I knew I'd get more out of it. But I promised myself I'd watch it in Portuguese in April. I better know the language by then, seriously. I love conference. Ah. Please watch it if you haven't already! Oh yes, and apparently Jessica TRIED and WANTED to come to Conference!! We stopped by her afterwards and that's what she told us. Our ride for her didn't work again (bizarre...) but she had gotten ready but never heard a knock on the door. Just wait...
 
Sunday. More conference!!! Love it. And. Jessica came! For both sessions! And the 2 hours in between! Amazing! Seriously. Watching conference with her was better than I knew it could be. She loved it too! Especially Elder Scott's talk, which I think was my favorite as well (and Elder Klebingat's. And Bednar's. I LOVED his.). She took notes, said she liked the song "Count Your Blessings", got to know this hilarious YW named Jayla, and I geniunely think she had a great time. After conference finished, we asked her about baptism. She said she wants to be baptized but wants to feel ready. !!!!!!!! We gave her the options of still October 11th or the 26th. She wants to pray about it, and we'll see what her answer is tomorrow. I am SO HAPPY. SUNDAY WAS SERIOUSLY SO PERFECT. AGH.
 
Plus Sunday night, I found my umbrella (I had left it at a member's house, whoops), the stars were BEAUTIFUL, and we taught Jasiana. Let me tell you, teaching her was unlike any other lesson I've taught thus far. It all felt... clear. Everything we said, everything she said, it was so clear, concise, and it flowed. It was amazing. She literally gave us her word that she would read and pray everyday. She is willing to be baptized even though she was baptized 6 months ago into her other church. She is so open, so ready, and amazing. Crazy busy, but amazing. No date yet, but we need to pray about her :)
 
All in all, Friday night was one of the hardest yet. But Sunday was one of the best days I've ever had in my life. I wish I could explain better how I feel, but I can't! I tried though :)
 
And this week will be great. We have some potentials, ZONE CONFERENCE on Thursday (where we will get to watch Meet the Mormons!!!), and possibly a baptism for Jessica on Saturday. Even if not that, it will still be so good. Also,Thursday is my 3 month mark. Crazy. Oh crazy. Time flies. But I love it here. Things are good. It sounds like things are good at home, and I hope everyone has a great week! Try to think about the things you learned in conference and DO THEM. That's how we will improve.
 
Time is short, but eu bo kre tcheu.
 
I love you!
 
Sister Knutti

Brockton in the fall

The selfie is of me, Sis. Melo, Jessica (on the left), Jayla, a HILARIOUS girl who I love a lot. And Beizinha. I love her so much too.

No comments:

Post a Comment