Friday, November 21, 2014

Week 18: A Bible, we have got a Bible, and we need no more Bible.

(2 Nephi 29:6)

Good Morning America! Family, Friends, welcome to the weekly update of Sister Knutti. This past week was one full of tears, hard laughter, and generally what can only be described as "missionary work." Let us begin.

Fun Fact: I am the only one in my district who knows what fried ice cream is. Sad day. These Brazilians just do not understand what I mean, and Elder Friebe just thought it sounded weird. Sigh.

So at the beginning of the month, President Packard told us about this goal that the missionary leaders and everyone all prayed about--our goal for the Massachusetts Boston Mission is to have 70 baptisms in the month of November, which is 11 more than we've EVER had. And it's not about the number, but about the idea that we need to help more people come to Christ, and that we need to have the faith that the Lord can make it happen. Which means in order to accomplish this goal we have, we are all sacrificing some things, as offerings for the Lord. And you know what? This is gonna happen! We currently have had 15 baptisms this month, and we have 123 baptismal dates for the rest of the month. Miracles are happening in Boston! One thing we are asking everyone to do is to include in every public and private prayer a plea to the Lord for help in our goals. So you can join in as well! It's going to happen, I know it will. 

This upcoming week will be Fabiana's baptism, my first one! We are all so excited. She's the best, and she's so ready. I'll send pictures.

A lot of our appointments this week fell through, but it's okay. We did see this investigator, Domingos, twice though. The first lesson... let's just say that it was really bad. BUT during the lesson his Adventist wife was telling us about a prophetess she believes in (I won't go into the larger story behind that one...) and how she has bibles from that lady and offered to give us some, and my companion (in portuguese) replied "Bibles? Oh, we don't need any more bibles. We already have a bible." Hence the title for this week. It was quite hilarious, mostly because I couldn't laugh in the lesson. But honestly, the thing I took away from that lesson the most was that despite all the things his wife was saying--that we were lying and this isn't in the Bible and so it can't be true....--was that I KNOW these things. Nothing that any other person can ever say to me will ever change my testimony, because I KNOW that Joseph Smith was a prophet, that he DID see God face to face, that he DID translate the Book of Mormon through the power of God and that the book IS true. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints IS God's church on the earth today, and our message is that we have the truth and God's power. We invite all people to come closer to Christ because we have seen how WE have come closer to Him already. I know these things are true, and I certainly wouldn't be here if I didn't. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen. :)

ALSO! We saw Domingos a few days later, and he is still totally on board. His wife really doesn't like us, but he is really starting to know that this is true. For a long time he was caught on the fact that Joseph Smith wasn't in the Bible, but he gets it now! He really likes to study the Book of Mormon and he's really ready and open to learn. We'll get him wet yet. He just learns a little slowly, so it'll take a few weeks still.

We had stake conference this weekend! They asked the missionaries to sing for the Saturday night session, and it was great. We sang called to serve in French, Spanish, Portuguese, and English, plus the EFY medley. Oh, it was really cool. And then the speakers talked about missionary work and hastening the work and family history and it was great! 

Those are pretty much the highlights of the week. Lots of things happen and I'm starting to realize that I don't really remember everything, whoops. But I love the work so much. It's hard to believe that I've been out 4 months already. And just think, because of school, I'll be home in just over a year..... weird. Let's not talk about it. 

I love being a missionary, I love my companion, I love the work, I love the scriptures, I love the Lord and my Heavenly Father. Things are rolling here in Boston, and you get to be around to see it!

I love you all and hope you have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment