Monday, June 1, 2015

Week 47: The Best Month of the Year

I think you know why that is. Connor was born this month! Obviously.

Ah, this week. Let me begin by publicly saying I am a terrible daughter and did not make Dad his birthday video on his birthday. but I have promised to do it today and get back on the computer to send it later when we go to print some things out.

Dad, you're the coolest.

Sorry I'm the lamest.

So after we emailed on Tuesday, basically we talked with Irmao and Irma Machado, the group leader and his wife, about people on the ward list who could be Portuguese-speaking. We got some good action items, and we're working on bringing those less-actives back!

Wednesday we learned more about the digital mission! Which I already know, but our stake (Providence, RI) is luckily going to be doing digital missionary work soon!! That's so great. There are so many people ready to hear the gospel, and the digital mission is the way to find them. So pumped.

We also visited Ana Goncalves, our investigator, and we extended a baptismal date to her, which she accepted!!! She will be baptized June 28th. Please pray for her though--her family will likely give her opposition because it's not the Catholic church. But she is pretty great--after we extended the date, she told a woman who barely walked in that she should come to our church too, and hey, she's going to get baptized on June 28th! That's the best.

Thursday we weekly planned. But you know what else we did? We scored a sweet service gig at a nursing home where a less-active works!! Sister Roman and I will go sing and play the piano there on Tuesday at 3pm. We're so excited. We just need to find the line between missionary appropriate and "not too many things that say "Jesus" or "God"". um.... we'll see.

We also had a pretty good on-the-front-porch lesson with a new investigator, Kelly! she has a lot of questions, and we tried to answer as best we could. I think she will be a more difficult investigator, but I know the gospel is for everyone, so we just need to help her as much as possible :)

On Friday we had district meeting, which was lovely, and afterwards we went to visit Iolanda, a less-active. That woman has had such a hard life, but she is pretty great. She got Hepatitis B from a blood transfusion, was in a coma for 3 months, and lives alone. But wow, she is doing her best. I think we'll be able to get her back to church! We just need to keep reminding her. Later that day we went with a YW, Juliana, to visit a potential named Carlos. He wasn't home. But never fear, his girlfriend and nephew were!! So we came in and taught them the Restoration. Ancelmo, the 17-yo really was interested!! Ana, the girlfriend, was pretty interested. They agreed to have us come back! Wahoo!

Saturday. We were so tired after Saturday.

Sister Roman and I woke up at 4:45am to get ready and drive to Lowell, Mass where we helped with a New England Women's Conference there. It was really fun! We helped pass out waters and with registration and guiding people and all sorts of things. Oh, and we also listened to Elder Holland as he talked at the end of the first part. In person. No big deal. He said that he's heard that by 2020 the baseline for missionaries will be 100,000. Can you believe that? I got chills when he said that. I was also able to see a lot of the women I've met in my different areas on my mission!! That was so fun. There are a lot of amazing women here in New England :) (P.S. Grandma and Grandpa Knutti, I met the Shumways! They apparently know you and asked me if I was related. I said something like "yes, yes I am." There you go, small world.)
when we got home that day I finished writing my talk (oh yeah, I was asked to talk for Sunday. In Portuguese.) and we went to bed nice and early. It was so nice.

Sunday I gave my talk! In Portuguese! For 20 minutes! I think I'm just a long talker. But my talk was on the Parable of the Sower, the talk from Elder Oaks in General Conference. It went well I think. That was my first official talk in the field! I made it through.

After church, we had a potluck lunch with the group and I ate cachupa for the 1st time in 6 months. Oh, glorious. Now I'm fine for at least another week to not eat anymore.

Then we all carpooled to the Latina Conference in Weston, where Elder Holland spoke! It was so good. One of our recent converts, Emilia, bore her testimony, which was a miracle. She was asked to do it before but she was really nervous and really didn't want to do it. But she did it!! She's awesome. Haha she's a funny one.

Anyways, Elder Holland spoke in English, so luckily I understood it all. :) He spoke about standing in holy places: our homes, our chapels, and the temple. He also said "Have more first-hand experiences with Christ." I think that means something different for every person. I still haven't figured that out for me yet. I think it mostly means that I need to read the Book of Mormon a lot more than I am currently doing.
So my challenge to you today is to figure out what that means and then do it!

It was also so sad to hear that Elder L. Tom Perry passed away this weekend. But I can promise you too that I felt a comfort as we learned of the news--things are fine. He's actually really happy. I can't quite describe it, but I just felt so comforted after I heard. Things are okay. He was an amazing man and a wonderful apostle.

Well family and friends, I love you. I hope you have had a wonderful week and that this next one will be just as good. Another shout out to my good ole Daddio, who is a young 46 now. Sorry again I didn't make the video. But can I just say, you are the best dad I've ever had.

I love you all!




No comments:

Post a Comment