Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Week 65: Uma Sozinha Boneca

I'll let you google translate that one. A member here, Maria Lopes, stared at me the whole time we were teaching her the plan of salvation and said things like "Ela parece uma boneca! Seus olhos são tão bonitos.... E seu cabelo! É perfeito. Parece uma boneca. Parece uma boneca."

It's kind of really weird.

She also said something along the lines of "God made you prettier because you are closer to perfection." Well, I'll just accept that compliment, thank you!

Haha this was kind of a strange week. 

Last week for pday we went into Boston to buy some clothes for Sister Marques. At the end of a lovely and successful pday, we were getting on the T (orange line, if you were wondering) to go back to visit Maria Lopes (who wasn't home that day). It was PACKED, since it was about rush hour, and in the Downtown Crossing station. We got into the station and a train was about to leave, so we hopped on, asking if it went towards Forest Hills. The first guy we talked to said "yes" so we got onto the train, but once we were in another person said "no, this one goes to Oak Hills" or whatever it was called haha. So I turned around and quickly got off the train. I turned back around towards Sister Marques, when

the doors shut

and I looked at my companion through the window of the T door. 

It was only about 3 seconds, but it felt like an eternity. I was so shocked. She mouthed to me "STAY THERE" and I mouthed "stay here?" and she said "YES" so I said "okay". And the train left the station. 

I was alone.

It was so weird. 

So my mind kicked in (or probably the Spirit to be honest) and I decided I should go to the other side of the station so when she came back on the other train, I would be on the right side. I walked through the tunnel over there--ALL ALONE by the way--and stood by a pole. The sign said it was 8 minutes until the next train arrived, and I remember thinking "noooo 8 minutes??? that's so long!!" So I decided to pray, and I was praying for all 8 minutes for the same three things--protection for me, protection for Sister Marques, and that we would be able to find each other. I didn't know what else to do, so I said "sorry Heavenly Father this is all I can think about."

Luckily (unluckily?), a gay couple came to stand next to me near this huge pole, and I heard a lot of kissing noises, but I chose not to look. I'm glad I didn't. Hahaha but let's be honest, that probably kept creepers away from me!

Finally the next train came, and Sister Marques walked off of it. WHEW! We hugged really fast and got back on that train to go to Forest Hills. 

When we told the other missionaries, they all said "IT HAPPENED?!?" I think it's kind of this huge fear we all have--getting separated from our companion on the bus or train. Good thing I know what to do now. 

Other than that, our week was a little boring. Tuesday we had to stay home because Sister Marques has some serious back pain, and carrying our groceries home last week really made it hurt. I got a lot done that day though! I learned all about how to give a massage with essential oils. Grandma Knutti would be proud of me. 

Wednesday was Sister Marques 9 month mark! We also had to go to Cambridge for a Dr appointment she had. So we celebrated her 9 months by going to Au Bon Pain in the mall close to the Cambridge building. Lovely stuff. Later we got a new baptismal date with Jayla, who is 8! She is super cute and her mom is a LA member. She'll get baptized Nov. 1st

Also, Zito and Filomena in Central Falls will be baptized on October 18th, along with 3 other people I briefly taught!!! We're doing our best to go back for that :)

Thursday we planned all day and boy it was boring this time hahaha.

Friday we had a really good lunch with Fatima, one of our RS counselors. Later we had this really interesting lesson with a man named Joao.... he told us that God and Jesus Christ couldn't be 2 separate people, and that I needed to be more humble when I teach and not say "I know" about things. Weird, right? I was testifying, and he didn't like that hahahah. Then he tried to be friends and stuff with us and walked us to the bus stop, but I was just really done by then. 

Every time we have a lesson like that though, I realize that NO ONE can take away my testimony except for me. People can say whatever they want, but nothing will change unless I let it. Same for you! No one can take your testimony away unless you let them. 

GENERAL CONFERENCE IS AMAZING!!!!!!!

That first session on Saturday blew me off my feet, it was SO GOOD. My favorite talks from conference were Elder Lawrence's (he visited our mission a year ago :) ), Sister Marriott's, President Monson's, Elder Holland's, and Elder Durrant's, I think. 

I really felt like I needed to do the Ponderize challenge, so I've already started! I love that idea. When he was giving his talk, I felt like it really was just for me. Probably everyone else felt like that too, haha, but I really want to 1) save money every week (when I go home and earn money again hahahaha) and 2) PONDERIZE!! 

My scripture this week is Alma 17:11. We can all be instruments in the Lord's hands when we are good examples to those around us. Wow, it was so good.

I was also especially touched by Elder Lawrence's talk. I have been thinking lately about the things that I need to do to be a better missionary and to do much better in these last few months that I have. And his talk was the answer to my question! I love that he reminded us that "Discipleship is a steady course of improvement". We aren't supposed to be perfect all in one day, but we are all supposed to work on it until we reach that point. Wow, I just learned a LOT from General Conference. I am so grateful for the apostles and prophets we have on the earth today. It was very cool to see the 3 new apostles called and sustained--I know they are called from God, and they are who He wants to serve as His apostles now. I really like how Elder Bednar talked about why older men are called to be the highest leaders of the church. 

Everything I heard just reminded me that this is God's church. We cannot and should not try to change it. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't ask questions, but as we try our best to follow God's will, then we will see how He has been guiding us and His church for a long time. 

I love the gospel! I love General Conference! I love EVERYTHING! 

Life is so good.

Sister Marques and I are getting along really well, and we are having a lot of fun. We wrote a rap this last week about Dorchester.... I'll try to make a video, since it really is just that awesome, but here are the words. You can get the idea. There are a lot of inside jokes hahaha and it's kind of kriolo and portuguese and english together. It's lovely.

Dorchester e' uma cidade
Onde fica a verdade
Sisters aqui sao de mais
Elas sao TXEU NICE
Elas podem te ensinar
Ku fe' em Deus, se batizar
So' precisa de ouvir
Senta! Escuta! Shut upee! Shut upee!
Espera! Ami tene! Catchupa! Catchupa!
E' sabe! Txeu sabe!
Catchupa! Catchupa!
E' sabe sabe sabe sabe sabesabesabesabesabesabesabesabesabe
BRING THE BUS choo cha cha choo choo cha, choo cha cha choo choo cha
BRING THE BUS choo cha cha choo choo cha, choo cha cha choo choo cha
Bring. The. Bus. 

I'll just have to make the video I think. Haha you can decide if you want to send that all out or not, that is more for the fam because I think it's hilarious. You're welcome.

We also really love our roommates, Sister Holt and Sister Haws. We had some good bonding conversations this week. Funny thing, Sister Holt has met one of my friends from Idaho (she's also from Idaho). Let's just say it was a really really funny experience when she realized she knew him. :)

Anyways, we are going to the Aquarium today, and we want to take some pictures with the Boston skyline because we look cute today. That's just what happens.

I hope you all have a lovely week! Enjoy fall. Boston in the Fall has been nice so far, but VERY cold. We wear scarves and boots every day. Oh well, sweater weather is better weather! Except I've been sick with a nasty cough the past few days. Yay. Don't worry, Elder and Sister Walsh (senior couple) are taking care of us. 

I LOVE YOU ALL!

No comments:

Post a Comment